|Crab Curry Kerala Style|
Crab curry is considered as a delicacy in many parts of the world and is often consumed as a main course.There are many known varieties of crabs.The crabs which are delicious to eat are blue crabs, dungeness crab, king crabs.Dungeness crabs are large crabs with pink juicy meat while king crabs are extremely large in size.
Crab cakes are one of the favourite dishes among seafood lovers in America.On India mud crabs are popular because of its size,meat quality and export potential.Mud crab is locally called 'Njandu" in Kerala and Tamilnadu.
Crab meat is rich in minerals such as calcium, zinc, iron and phosphorus.It has low carbohydrate and low levels of fat.
This recipe is very basic and fast to prepare dish where the crab is cooked in a delicious masala and spices.Do try this recipe and enjoy its taste and flavors.
Here goes the recipe :
- Crab cleaned-3 nos (medium sized)
- Onion-2nos, sliced
- Green chilly-3-4, slit lengthwise
- Ginger-1inch piece, finely chopped
- Garlic-3-4 cloves, sliced
- Kudampuli-1 piece
- Curry leaves-2-3sprigs
- Turmeric powder-couple of pinches
- Chilly powder-2tsp
- Coriander powder-1tbsp
- Garam masala-1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean the crabs well and allow it to drain.
- Marinate with salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add chopped/crushed ginger and garlic.Cook for few minutes.Add green chilies and saute.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder , turmeric and saute till the raw smell goes off.Add sliced tomatoes, curry leaves and salt.Cook till the tomatoes become soft and oil starts appearing.Add kudampuli and cleaned crabs.Mix well.Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add 1 cup water to this.Add garam masala also.Cover and cook on a low flame.Check salt, if needed add more.Cook till the crabs is done and the gravy is almost dried.
- Remove from fire.
Serve hot along with plain rice, chapati, paratha or palappam and Enjoy the dish.....