I always thought that cutlets are very hard to prepare and time consuming.I never attempted to make these before marriage.I had a lot of experience in shaping and frying them well.But getting the texture correct and not having them fall apart on me while frying gives a lot of experience.
I make it quite often now...almost thrice a month.I am happy to share the recipe to my friends.
- Beef/Chicken/Mutton-1/2kg(boneless,cut into medium sized cubes)
- Potato-2,large(boiled and smashed)
- Onion-1 large,finely chopped
- Green chilly-7-8,cut into thin rounds(As per your tolerance level)
- Garam masala-1tbsp
- Turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- Curry leaves-1-2sprigs,finely chopped
- Coriander leaves-1tbsp,finely chopped
- Lemon juice-1/2tsp
- Bread crumbs or powdered rusk-as required
- Salt to taste
- Oil-as required
- Clean the meat thoroughly and chop it into medium large pieces.
- Cook the meat(in pressure cooker) with turmeric powder,half tsp pepper powder and salt till it turns tender.Evaporate excess water and allow to cool.
- After cooling down mince the meat and keep it aside.Boil the potatoes,peel the skin and mash well.
- Heat oil in a large pan,add chopped onion and sprinkle salt,saute till it turns soft and translucent.
- Add chopped ginger,garlic,green chillies and curry leaves, stir for few minutes or until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add garam masala and crushed pepper stir for few minutes.
- Add minced meat,stir for few minutes and add mashed potatoes and stir the mixture for few minutes or until all the water content evaporates.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and adjust salt and seasoning.switch off heat.
- Make small lemon size balls out of this mixture and shape them into round or oval shapes patting gently with a flat side of the knife from all sides of the meat balls,until all the cracks that form in between are sealed.
- Dip each cutlet into lightly beaten egg and roll it in bread crumbs.Tap off extra bread crumbs.Do this one by one.
- You can keep this in the freezer for a long time.Divide the cutlets in batches,one batch equal to how many you would need for once.Freeze.Remove from freezer.There is no need to defrost.
- Deep fry the cutlets in low-medium heat until they turn brown as in the picture.
|Meat Cutlet Kerala Style|
Serve warm with ketchup,mint chutney or challas.....
To make Challas,chop some big onions and add vinegar and sprinkle with some salt.Mix it with your fingers and keep it for at least 10 minutes and serve.