|Prawns Curry Kerala Style|
- Chemmeen/Prawns-18-20 nos
- Ginger-1''piece,finely chopped/crushed
- Garlic-5-7 pods(sliced)/crushed
- Coconut bite size pieces-1/4cup
- Chilly powder-2tbsp (As per tolerance level)
- Turmeric powder-a couple of pinches
- Kudampuli-2-3 pieces(add according to the sourness)
- Mustard seeds-1/3tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/3tsp
- Curry leaves-2sprigs
- water-as required
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the prawns/chemmeen in water and drain it.
- Make a paste of chilly powder and turmeric powder with 2-3tbsp of water.keep aside.
- Cook coconut pieces with water,salt and 1 piece of kudampuli.
- Heat coconut oil in an earthenware/clay pot or a heavy bottomed pan.Splutter mustard seeds followed by fenugreek seeds.
- Now add ginger and garlic and stir for few minutes.Add the chilly-turmeric paste and saute till the raw smell goes off or till the oil separates on the top of the paste.
- Add kudampuli along with sufficient water.Add curry leaves.Bring it to a boil at medium heat.Add the prawns.Now add salt and mix well.
- Add the cooked coconut pieces .Cover and cook for 10-20 minutes on a medium-low heat or until it is done and the gravy is thick.Switch off the heat.Sprinkle 1tsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes before serving.It helps the prawns to absorb the flavors.
Prawns / Chemmeen Curry
Serve with hot plain Rice and Kaya/Yam Mezhukkupuratti .....Enjoy!!!