Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chammanthi Podi/Roasted coconut N Spice Powder(Kerala Style)



Chammanthi podi was a savior to me during my hostel days.Amma used to pack this tasty podi for me those days....During my last vaccation to Kerala,Amma gave me a bottle of chammanthi podi for us and the bottle was empty within few days....My whole family love this and the advantage is it stays good for a long time.Each home has its own variations.

I am sending this recipe for the cook along event of Kerala Kitchen hosted by Nags of Edible Garden.

Check her recipe for chammanthi podi Here.I made slight variations and prepared it in my style.

Ingredients:
  • Grated Coconut-2cups
  • Shallots/small onion-10,sliced
  • Dry red chillies-20-25 nos(according to your spice level)
  • Coriander seeds-1tbsp
  • Whole pepper-1tbsp
  • Ginger-1'' piece
  • Garlic-2 cloves,chopped
  • Curry leaves-2 handfuls
  • Tamarind-a lemon size
  • Salt to taste 


   Method:
  • Heat a broad pan or iron kadai.
  • Dry roast all the ingredients except tamarind and salt.
  • Fry this mixture until it turns dark brown colour,by stirring continuously in a medium flame.It takes a long time around 20 minutes.
  • Switch off the flame.Allow the mixture to cool.
  • Add salt and tamarind.Grind it into a coarse powder in a mixer grinder.
  • after cooling store the chammanthi podi in air tight glass bottle.
  • Keep it in refrigerator in air tight containers or glass bottle.It has long shelf life.


Serve with Rice,Rice porridge(Kanji) or mix with coconut oil
and serve as side for IDLI and Dosa or with anything as you wish....
 
Happy Cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment