I love shopping through myntra.It is the largest online shopping store in India.They have the latest collections of apparel,footwear and accessories for men,women and kids.
Sending this pickle recipe to Bharathy of ''Spicy Chilly''who is hosting the event, "My Spicy Recipe".
This is another treasured recipe from my Amma,very simple to make,yet so delicious.I've prepared this fish pickle last week with 1 kg of fish,and it is almost over by now.
Fish pickle can be made with prawns,butter,king fish, fish(moda), pomfret .I love adding lots of garlic to my pickle.A roasted spice mix makes this pickle very unique,flavorful,aromatic and delicious.
Here is the Recipe for Fish Pickle
- king fish diced - 1kg(you can use prawns also)
- chilly powder mixed with a little vinegar (to make it a smooth paste) - 5tbsp(adjust as per your spice level)
- turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
- pepper powder -2 tsp
- ginger thinly sliced -1 inch piece
- garlic thinly sliced - 2 pods
- green chilies -5-7,slit(As per your tolerance level)
- mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
- fenugreek seeds -1/4tsp
- ginger-garlic paste-5tbsp
- vinegar - 1/4 -1/2cup
- curry leaves-2 sprigs
- salt to taste
- sesame oil- 1/4cup
- water -1/2 cup- 1 cup(boiled)
- Mix together 2tsp chilly powder,turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt by adding 2tbsp water and marinate fish pieces using this mixture.Keep it in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Then deep fry the fish pieces until it is crispy...this is done to remove the moisture in the fish,so that the pickle will keep it for long.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds , fenu greek seeds and allow them to pop.Then add curry leaves also.
- Now add ginger,garlic and green chillies into it.Saute it for 3-4 minutes in medium heat.
- I saute ginger- garlic paste to get more gravy.
- Now mix in red chilly paste and saute for few minutes or until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add vinegar & salt and bring it to boil.When boiled add the fish pieces into it and simmer for another 5-7 minutes.You can add hot water or vinegar if needed,bring it to boil for once again.
- Dry roast 1/2 tsp mustard,1/4 tsp fenu greek seeds.When it is cool,grind them into powder with mortar and pestle.
- Sprinkle this roasted powder over the pickle& mix it well.
- Remove it from fire & allow it to cool completely. Store in an air tight glass bottle.
- If you are planning to keep it for a long time,it is better to refrigerate it.Though you can start using it the day it's made,it is better to keep it for 2-5 days for the flavor to settle in.Make sure that you use only boiled &cooled water.
- When you add vinegar,start with 1/4 cup and add more,after doing a taste check.
- Do not use wet spoon which adds moisture and the pickle very easily get'' fungus'' and that spoils the whole pickle.Add boiled& cooled oil to the top of the pickle.This will prevent fungus.
- This is a spicy recipe,please adjust the ingredient measurements to suit your taste.